Site Navigation

Silly Daddy Merry-Go-Round

Silly Daddy Merry-Go-Round is rare digital art by Joe Chiappetta
Silly Daddy Merry-Go-Round is one of my most complex experimental animation artworks to date, using 83 frames/unique art images. I issued this cartoon as limited edition rare digital art on SuperRare. There on that thriving crypto-art marketplace, you can buy the only existing blockchain edition of this comic-themed artwork using Ethereum.

What's this artwork all about? The family--as a theme--has been a major recurring element in my professional art and comics career. It has been that way for almost as long as I can remember. Perhaps that comes as no surprise, considering that I have been putting out Silly Daddy Comics since 1992. That's the year after I first became a father. And that was a long time ago.
Since the circle represents unity, and since unity is what all reasonable families genuinely desire, I set out to make some animated digital art that rotates in a circle, represents the family, and communicates a happy, fun unity. The heads of the family are positioned quite close together. This signifies the common desire of family members to bond in closeness and warmth toward each other. The abstract star-shape in the center shows that my wife and kids are a bright twinkle in my eye.

Using various stages of my Silly Daddy Family logo, which I also refer to as the Silly Daddy Avatar, I combined the old and new versions of this family design to highlight the change as well as demonstrate growth and progress over time. Such things should be evident in an artist's work. Moreover, such things like growth and progress should be evident in a healthy family.

A common manner in which families bond is through shared experiences, including movies and television. This is why it seemed fitting to infuse my artwork with a retro television style. Being experimental in my artwork has always been an important part of the creative process. So the unpredictable glitches that decorate this animation bring me great delight. In my mind, the glitches make it more real, because real life, and the pursuit of unity can be full of real glitches. Yet unity is still entirely worth pursuing.

Videos and movies often have a big impact on families, mine included. I recall my Dad and Mom taking us kids to the movies to see Star Wars back in the 1970s. It created an epic memory--from that point forward I believed being a hero was entirely possible. And my parents helped nurture such a dream. Similarly, I also recall watching cartoons and kids' shows with my children when they were little: Barney the Dinosaur, Thomas the Tank Engine, Bob the Builder... the list goes on. My biggest memory of those peaceful times is one of safety. I was happy being with my children and knowing that they were safe. And I hope that they have safe memories of me and my wife as they grow older and come to appreciate the role of parenting more and more. Perhaps a picture of Barney the Dinosaur will remind them of that safe feeling. Or perhaps all they need to see is my smiling face.

Here is to safety, to unity, to family, forever!

Joe Chiappetta