Site Navigation

Not a CryptoPunk




Kinder and gentler punks... through the power of cryptocurrency!

I drew this comic as a spoof of CryptoPunks by Larva Labs. If you don't know what that project is, it's one of the earliest theme-based collections of rare digital art. My art as well as the original CryptoPunks project is a kind of crypto-art that falls under the category of crypto-collectibles.

The cartoon rendition that I drew in ink on paper and then colored on the computer was fun to make. In fact, I try to have a lot of amusement when making my comics. This artwork features one punky pixelated character declaring his preference to be called by a slightly more sophisticated name. "Ruffian," for those not from the 1800s, is the old-old-school word for "punk." Yes, you've just been educated.

Using blockchain technology, you can purchase and trade this fun crypto-comic as a limited edition piece of rare digital art. I issued this art in an edition of only 200 copies on the CrystalsCraft collection in Book of Orbs. You can find the color version at https://app.bookoforbs.com/cry and buy it using cryptocurrency!


My original black and white art was drawn while actually sketching a framed digital image of a CryptoPunk (by Larva Labs) that was being auctioned off at a live event in New York City where I was exhibiting. Using my favorite ink brush, my CryptoPunks tribute drawing also has only one spot--or should I say one square--of color to represent a pixelated earring. That's because I also happened to have an orange marker in my backpack.

Making this and participating in the event was a fun and creative time for me, and hopefully all others present. I recall growing up that in the comic books I read, New York City was affectionately called "Fun City," by Spider-Man, I believe. And for me, that is what New York became when I visited there at Ethereal Summit this summer: a fun city.

Joe Chiappetta
http://sillydaddy.net