Site Navigation

Creative and Self-Censored Mind



When I draw myself these days, there has to be a good reason for it. I need to communicate something useful--even something that will help me personally--regardless of what anyone else thinks of the drawing. Such is the case with this recent digital drawing I created.

Growing up, I thought that I could just think about whatever I wanted and do whatever I wanted. We certainly have the freedom to think about whatever we want. Many people also try to do whatever they want. Been there; done that. Most folks, though, are not successful at this. What I have learned over time, is that thinking and doing whatever we want is not a good plan. In fact, most of the time, it can be pretty foolish, to say the least.

Through my parents, teachers, and especially the Bible, by the grace of God, I eventually discovered that I need to carefully regulate what I think about as well as regulate what I do. It is about being self-disciplined. If I think about something hateful, selfish, or deceptive, I must self-correct. In other words, I need to say to myself, "Stop what you are doing, Joe; this is wrong!"

What am I getting at here? It is about the need for all of us to self-censor ourselves at the thought-level. Sometimes we forget to do this and get into trouble quite quickly. That's why we need each other as well as clear moral standards (AKA the Bible) for what is right and what is wrong.

Here is where we can get a bit tripped up though. We are all given a certain level of creativity. This is only natural since our creator, God is the most creative being imaginable. Our own creativity can be used to build good things and generate good, positive thoughts. But this same creativity also can be used to concoct all sorts of depressing and even destructive avenues. So even our creativity must be self-regulated. Can we run wild? Probably. Should we run wild? Most of the time, that answer would be a resounding "No."

This is why am so grateful for all the clear direction that I have received over the years about being "transformed by the renewing of" my mind. That is a principle found in Romans 12:2 and it is quite potent when put into practice. It means that I don’t have to be stuck in the dumb, foolish, depressing and dead-end thoughts which can creep into my mind and try to take over from time to time. I can think about what is pure, noble, and the many other faithful concepts and constructs that are accessible to everyone.

Such practical applications have forged me into a better man in so many areas. Indeed we can all live life to the full in this way. It is the way of constant self-discipline and focusing on the growth and lessons that God has in store for us.

Joe Chiappetta
http://sillydaddy.net